Lent 2022, Day 39

 


Love the Lord your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always. Deuteronomy 11:1

Love and obedience. They’re not mutually exclusive in power-disparate relationships like God and people, parents and children, or me and Libby. In the New Testament, Jesus states it super clearly: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” (John 14:15)

This is not a controlling boyfriend or manipulative friend. This is a benevolent Someone who is actually in control, giving subordinates the opportunity to have a relationship within and despite the disparity.

The trick is for the subordinates to get on board and thus be able to fully enjoy the relationship. And getting on board starts with getting rid of our innate “you’re not the boss of me” attitude. Cause you know what? God actually is the boss of me, parents are the boss of young children, and I am (I am!) the boss of Libby, whether she likes it or not (she doesn’t).

The analogy of course breaks down because not all p
arents or dog owners are benevolent and want the best for their wards, as we see every day. But I am confident, through experience and study, that God is actually and truly benevolent and wants the best for humanity, for me. So it’s easier to trust him and do my best to obey his commandments—to love him back by doing what I can to bring goodness to a broken world.

Libby loves me; I know that. But the obedience, the trust, that takes time.

 #lent2022 #bibleinoneyear #rescuedogsofinstagram #repentandbelieve

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concert Mom

Lent 2022, Spy Wednesday

Lent 2022, Day 29